An Ongoing Tradition: Dance Marathon 2017

The 2017 Dance Marathon will look to repeat the success of last years members show above.

Christina Trumbull

Gianna Giacalone, Reporter

Dance Marathon is an annual event that helps raise money for the Brain Tumor Foundation. This event has been occurring for five years in honor of the Clarksburg student Sam Moore who passed away from a brain tumor. This year the event will take place Feb. 3.

“I do the dance marathon because I want to continue Sam’s inspirational story and be a part of something big,” senior Holly Wilson explained.

Throughout the whole year the dance marathon organization raises money with bake sales, the letter writing campaign, head shaving, and going to football and basketball games and asking for donations.

“I think it’s really neat that students come together to raise money for something they care about,” junior Kirsten Miller said.

Donations allow people to participate in the night long event. Senior Emily Lufsey explained “you can either be on a team which has to raise a minimum of $500 or you can buy a ticket the week of for $50.”

“Each year we have raised more and more money for such a great cause,” Wilson said.

The school hosts a lock in all night to award students for their efforts of fundraising. “During the event we do different activities such as manhunt, human bowling, basketball; basically any game you can think of we play,” Lufsey said.

The next morning there is a breakfast and the amount of money raised is announced. “It’s just a really great experience seeing everyone come together and stay up all night long.”  Lufsey said.