3 Years 3 Coaches

Lifetouch

Girls lacrosse team celebrates home opener win

Bradley Tregoning , Reporter

As the flowers begin to bloom, everyone is preparing for March 1 and the start of the 2017 spring sports season. One team looking to improve from their 2016 season is the girls lacrosse team who went 4-8 last year.

Junior Gianna Giacalone explained the girl’s performance last year on the field, and said that they “were pretty lackadaisical.”

Senior Cynthia Quevison also added that “we had a new coach last year and we were just coming up from JV.” The mix of new players and coaching could’ve caused the team to suffer last year.

On the bright side, team chemistry has been building since last season. Quevison explained how the team has been playing in a winter league to prepare themselves for the season.

The team is going on it’s third coach in 3 years, 2015 was coached by Danielle Holmes and 2016 by Lauren Dommel both coaches stepped down for family reasons.

Giacalone said “the team dynamic changes every year.”

This year the team will be coached by Kingsview Middle School teacher Denise Miller. Miller was an assistant coach last year, but during the offseason took over as the head coach.

Sophomore Lydia Tadesse is very optimistic about the coaching change. She said that “[Miller] is out there on the field encouraging and improving us, she always ready to challenge us.”

Tadesse is not afraid of change stating that “different is better.” This year the team will have a lot of returning seniors who have been waiting a long time to redeem themselves. The goal for every team is to win a state championship; the seniors and new coach have an opportunity this upcoming season to help lead the team to states.

“You just want to do better this year than last year,” said Tadesse.