Aaron Hernandez: Case Closed?

The ex NFL Tight End Aaron Hernandez was found dead hanging by a bed sheet in his cell.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Tyrelle Smith, News Editor

Ex NFL tight end for the New England Patriots, Aaron Hernandez was found dead in his prison cell on April 19 in the morning after hanging himself using bedsheets. Under Massachusetts law, this means the murder conviction that sent him to prison in the first place has been voided.

Hernandez was still in the process of appealing his 2014 conviction of murdering Odin Lloyd, which means a legal principle dating back to English common law called “abatement ab initio” applies to his case. “Ab initio” translates to “from the beginning” and chief legal counsel to the Massachusetts Bar Association Michael Healy told the Boston Globe that the principle reverts a case to its start if the convicted party dies before the appeals process has concluded.

This means that Hernandez will go to his death an innocent man.

Junior Edward Escobar said “in my opinion that law is stupid but I don’t live in Massachusetts so what I say doesn’t matter. Basically what that law says is if you kill yourself while in the process of appealing, you are let off from any crime that you did.”

Others believe that it was a sacrifice for his daughter. Due to an obscure Massachusetts legal doctrine, Hernandez’s death vacates his conviction and entitles his family to $15 million under the terms of his severed NFL contract.

Junior Damaris Deras claimed “it wasn’t the right thing to do but it also wasn’t the wrong thing to do. Yes he killed himself but you got to think deeper. He was going to be in jail for the rest of his life so why not sacrifice his life to benefit his daughter.”

Nevertheless, not everyone thinks that it was a sacrifice. Others believe it was just not appropriate at all.

English teacher Jasmine Pope stated that “Hernandez killing himself was selfish to me. He took his life away so that he [did not have to] face his problems anymore, and although his family is getting money they still have to face the fact that he is gone and it hurts. Now his fiancée and daughter are facing more of a problem dealing with his death than him just being in jail.”

Also important, Hernandez was found not guilty of a double murder case earlier in the week. Hernandez hinted a suicide weeks before he was found hanging by a bedsheet in the prison. He also left three notes behind. The context in those notes have not been released yet.

“I feel like someone should’ve said something. Someone had to have saw him writing,” Deras said. Hernandez shared a cell with an inmate.

A funeral took place mourning the death of Hernandez on April 25. The question that remains with the general public is if it was a sacrifice, or was he being selfish.