Softball Strikes Hard in Regular Season

Junior+Sydney+Bencal+focuses+on+delivering+a+pitch+with+velocity+and+accuracy+
Junior Sydney Bencal focuses on delivering a pitch with velocity and accuracy

Giovanni Pizzzino

Giovanni Pizzzino

Bradley Tregoning, Reporter

With their season heading into crunch time with a 10-3 record,  the CHS varsity softball team is looking to make a deep run into the playoffs.

The girls look to bounce back after their season ended in the regional finals last year against Blair.

Coming into the season the team “lost a lot of seniors so we didn’t know how the season as going to go, but we all came together and worked really well together,” senior Mary Puig stated.

With an older team made up of ten upperclassmen, this team has a lot of leadership at the helm. With new head coach Jenn Hoffman stepping up to the plate, this season has been pretty good for the girls; their only losses were to Quince Orchard, Magruder and Northwest.

The goal is to “keep our season going long and go deep into the playoffs,” junior Phylicia McInnis said. 

Losing to the three previously mentioned teams in the regular season doesn’t mean this team is afraid of them come playoff time. “We look forward to facing these teams in the playoffs,” junior Rachel Stoll stated.

With two games left until playoffs, the softball team is looking to gather momentum. They will play Sherwood May 8 at Clarksburg and Springbrook May 9 at Springbrook. Their first playoff game will be May 11 with a yet to be determined opponent. Keep an eye out for these lady coyotes in the long run.