Democrats Do Not ‘Care’ for Trump’s New Healthcare

House+Majority+Leader+Kevin+McCarthy%2C+House+speaker+Paul+Ryan%2C+and+Representative+Greg+Walden+at+an+American+Health+Care+Act+conference%2C+on+March+7th+2017.+
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, House speaker Paul Ryan, and Representative Greg Walden at an American Health Care Act conference, on March 7th 2017.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-09/heres-exactly-who-benefits-gops-new-health-care-bill

Jordan Doss, Features Editor

Republicans and Cabinet members have passed a new healthcare plan through the House and are on their way to repeal and replace Obamacare with Trump’s new bill. The House is divided on whether or not the bill will be efficient and useful, causing more of a political controversy than previously predicted. After many weeks of negotiations, following the failure of their first attempt, the vote concluded with 217 GOP lawmakers in favor, but 20 republicans and all House democrats opposed.

The new plan is going to get rid of Obamacare taxes on the wealthy and insurers, and eliminate the use of the Affordable Care Act.

“Right now, Obamacare is collapsing under itself. It’s simply not sustainable. We have to make drastic changes to reform the healthcare system,” said Press Secretary Sarah Sanders at a White House press release on May 4.

As a result of the extreme opposition sprouting from the democratic party, tension is rising as the democrats intend to keep a careful eye on the new healthcare, and the republican party.

“People can’t fight hard when their reps are politicians who care more about their paychecks than their constituents,” said sophomore Merline Broadnax.

Although the bill has passed through the house, this does not guarantee it will become a law.

“It only has passed the house, it has to go through the Senate, but they don’t like it because the house republicans don’t know the statistics of the changes [that would occur if the bill passed]. Right now I do not know when they’re going to be able to do that, or if it will become a law at all,” said history teacher Emily Demarest.

With reputations at stake for Trump and the GOP, along with worries intensifying on the democratic side, the wait for the passing, or failure of this bill may be a long and damaging expedition.