Manchester Stays United

Ariana Grande (left) and Miley Cyrus (right) share the stage together during the One Love Manchester concert.

Shane Lou/Today

Tyrelle Smith, News Reporter

After singer Ariana Grande had her concert in the Manchester Arena in England May 22, a bomb went off killing 22 people.

22-year-old Salman Abedi was the suicide bomber. From the pictures used for evidence, it appears the attacker did not build the bomb; he was just the messenger according to Bobby Chacon, a retired FBI agent. It was an intricate device that was likely put together by an experienced bomb-maker, who then sent a protégé to detonate it, experts say.

Grande returned to Manchester to do benefit concert featuring celebrity guest and attended the show with a top of the line security team. The unexpected attack left fans running in fear and many injured. CHS sophomore Cassie Laufman said “I don’t think she should return to Manchester to do a concert. If she does, she shouldn’t do it too soon. People are still traumatized by the attack.”        

As people scattered around the arena, just moments after the bomb went off, a video that went viral showed people leaving the venue. As the video was being recorded audiences could suddenly hear a loud ‘bang’ somewhere in the arena. Junior Toni Fenslau commented “that video was crazy. I can’t even imagine being with the girl that recorded. I would’ve been traumatized”.

In addition to Grande, others have reached out to help Manchester after the incident. Countries, cities, and even sporting events have payed tribute for the victims of this attack. Sophomore Tyler Ramlal stated “I’ve seen tributes all across the globe, from the U.S. to Canada to Europe. I also just recently watched a UFC event [May 27] and before it started, everyone in the arena shared a moment of silence”.

This situation is more than just a an attack that happened in Manchester. “When something like this happens, it doesn’t just hit Manchester, it hits everyone,” Ramlal proclaimed.