Two Teenagers Shot and Killed a Day Before Their Graduation

Shadi Najjar (left) and Artem Ziberov (right) were killed the night before their graduation from Northwest HS.

Sarah Konsmo and Delia Goncalves/WUSA

Sarah Konsmo and Delia Goncalves/WUSA

Tyrelle Smith, News Reporter

Two Maryland teens were found dead in a car after being fatally shot in Montgomery Village a night before they walked the stage at Northwest High School’s graduation.

Police identified the two male victims as Shadi Adi Najjar, 17, and Artem S. Ziberov, 18. Twenty-three shots from two separate guns were fired at the car where the victims were discovered. One of the victims was clutching a $20 bill when found by police.

“It’s crazy, there’s way too many shootings in the area nowadays,” junior Ryan Johns stated. “No one should fear to live their lives.”

According to police, on Monday, June 5 at approximately 10:46 pm, the Emergency Communications Center (911) received a call from a resident reporting the sounds of shots fired in the 8200 block of Gallery Court. 6th District officers responded to the area and located the two victims inside of a light blue Honda that was parked in the street on Gallery Court.  Both victims appeared to be suffering from apparent gunshot wounds and succumbed to their injuries at the scene.

With more shootings happening in Montgomery County, parents are more worried than ever about their child’s safety. “My parents are definitely more paranoid and don’t want me out at late times,” junior Arun Subramanian said.

As parents are worried for their children, others are mourning the deaths of the two teens. The family of Shadi Najjar held a funeral Wednesday for their son. More than 100 people gathered at the Islamic Society of Germantown to mourn the death of the 17-year-old.

Friends, family, and the community are deeply affected by these two teenagers death.  “The community feels less safe going outside doing regular everyday things,” junior Michael Seagar said. 

Adi Najjar, Shadi Najjar’s father has been in a lot of interviews with local news stations. In an interview with WUSA9 News, he stated, “As a father, I need to know what happened to my son, Why would somebody shoot him? What did he do wrong? Why?”

This is still an ongoing investigation. Police are offering a $10,000 cash reward for tips leading to an arrest, according to a Montgomery County press release.