Whiting’s Final Day’s

Mr. Stephen Whiting, former CHS princpal

Montgomery County Public Schools

CHS principal Stephen Whiting has led the school for the last two years. Whiting announced that after the 2016-17 school year, he would be stepping down as principal to become the senior director of athlete recruitment with the Maryland Special Olympics.

The Special Olympics are an organization that uses the power of sports to assist people with intellectual disabilities “discover new strengths and abilities, skills and success.”

“Special Olympics has been a passion of mine for as long as my daughter has been involved, so about 16 years,” Whiting said. “So I coach with Special Olympics, [and] of course my daughter competes with the Special Olympics. So it wasn’t a decision to leave as much as it was a decision to follow a passion that I have and an opportunity that came up because otherwise I wouldn’t leave; there’s no reason to leave.”

Whiting also shared his background on his replacement, Edward K. Owusu. Owusu was the principal at Shady Grove Middle School in Gaithersburg, MD.

“We know each other… he is a really good man, I mean he’s a little bit like me,” Whiting said. He’s really good knowing instruction… he’s just a really good guy that loves kids and loves what he does and so I think it’s a really good match.”

Whiting continued to add that he is a little worried about the amount of turnover that’s going on at CHS, but says he knows Owusu will “handle it well” although it will take time for him to get to know everyone, and how different high school is from middle school.

Many rising seniors are slightly upset that they won’t be graduating with Whiting as the principal. Many students had Whiting as a principal at Rocky Hill Middle School in sixth grade, so they’ve known him for six to seven years of their 11 year school career. Whiting took the time to advise students to remember how good they are at how they accept each other. He added that he loved the fact that he sees some of the friend groups he saw at RHMS still thriving today.

“Things just work out and happen. Class of ‘18 keep it fresh, keep it exciting, you’re young and you have a life, so live it,” Whiting said. “I know a lot of you want to choose those things that are safe. All these nay sayers. If you find yourself stuck, you’re not, you’re never stuck. If you don’t like where you are, move.”

Mr. Whiting. It’s safe to say you’ve made a dramatically positive impact on the Clarksburg community in the past two years and all we can say for that is thank you. CHS is sad to see you go, but we wish you all the best with the Special Olympics!