DACA Removal Should Not Get Approval

Abraham Manilla at Sugar Loaf Mountain, age 9.

Abraham Manilla

Abraham Manilla

Jordan Doss, Editor-in-Chief

The United States Department of Homeland Security announced  Sept. 5th,that they intend to repeal the Obama Administration’s Executive Order for the DACA program.

DACA, also known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, is a program designed to offer deportation relief for young immigrants. The repeal of this order means that for the time, no new applicants are being accepted into the program, and after March of 2018, renewals may not be allowed either. Currently, the order resides in Congress, where they have 6 months to make a decision.

Many immigrants will be negatively impacted by this repeal. In Maryland alone, 34,000 young immigrants are eligible or currently using the DACA program. According to migrationpolicy.org,  Montgomery County contains the highest quantity of immigrants out of the entire state of Maryland, at about 11,000. Many of these people may likely be neighbors, coworkers, or even classmates and friends.

Junior Abraham Manilla has been using the DACA program for a year. When first coming to America, at the age of 4, life was not ideal for him and his family.

“I didn’t really recognize anything and we kinda had to hide from the cops,” Manilla said.  “It was sad because I didn’t know what was happening and kept asking my parents when we were going home.”

Since then, DACA has provided a lot of help to his young life.

“DACA allowed me to get my work permit, which also made me eligible for a social security number and from there I was also able to get my drivers permit,” Manilla said.

DACA is a useful resource that many young people need in order to reach their full academic and working potential. Removing it would only give those who have not done anything wrong, a sentence to a life where they may never have these same resources and opportunities again.

“These immigrants are contributing members of society. They’ve helped America become the diverse society that it is now. They deserve each and every opportunity as everyone else in this country is given naturally as a birthright,” junior Tammy Ngo said .

Taking away a policy or program that can provide futures and help many, should not be considered. The innocent youth of this country should not be condemned for the actions of their elders; and should not have to worry about the status of their futures.