New Montgomery county portal leaves teachers and students confused

Amaya Dennis, Reporter

MCPS students were shocked to hear that the website and app that they had been using since middle school was no longer going to show them their grades.

MCPS released two new apps (myMCPS Portal and Canvas) for students to use to check grades, check their school’s sports scores, see their new resources, and more.

The issue that students and teachers have had with this new portal was that nobody knew how to use it. For the first few weeks of the 2017-18 school year students didn’t know where to go to check their grades and teachers didn’t know what to tell them because they hadn’t had any type of training on how to use the new platform. Many staff members weren’t even sure where the grades they were putting in were going.

“How am I supposed to teach my students how to use a website that I haven’t even been properly trained to use,” asked one CHS teacher who requested anonymity. “MCPS should have probably let us know how to use this app and website before school started so we could be prepared.”   

The teachers weren’t only ones frustrated with the new platform. Some students weren’t able to figure out where to go to see their grades until this past week.

“I honestly prefer edline,” junior Saidou Sessou. “It took me two whole weeks to figure out how to even log into the app. There were two apps I downloaded and one of them didn’t even work. I recently found my grades and all that but it took forever. I don’t know why they changed in the first place.” After the first few weeks of school students and teachers were able to begin to figure out how to log into the app and start looking at their grades. Time will tell if the new systems are improvements or unnecessary changes.