Boys Soccer Clinches Division

Strong plays like this by senior Jonathan Del Cid, have helped the Coyotes clinch the 2017 Division title.

Wonghan

Wonghan

Steven Shifflett, Reporter

Heading into Monday night’s game against Gaithersburg, the CHS Boys Varsity soccer team knew that they needed a win to stay ahead of both the Trojans and the Quince Orchard Cougars in the 4A West standings.

The Coyotes took care of business with an impressive 2-1 victory over the Trojans, and when QO lost to Wootton later that night, Monday’s win secured the coyotes their first division title since 2010 under new head coach Kodjo Natiko.

The game started out slowly, and after 40 full minutes of gritty play, it was 0-0 at halftime. It was a back-and-forth battle throughout the first half, but less than three minutes into the second half junior Brian Bond received a pass from senior Walter Gomez. The pass set Bond up with a one-on-one with the Trojans’ goalie which resulted in the go-ahead goal for Clarksburg.

“The game was a war, the thought of losing to them again gave us the power to pull through and get the win,” Bond said.

Later in the second half junior Abraham Israel’s insurance goal put the Coyotes ahead 2-0 at a pivotal point with less than fifteen minutes remaining. However, with 3:48 remaining, a crucial penalty against Clarksburg in the goalie box gave the Trojans a penalty shot against freshman goalie Marlon Lopez. The Trojans converted and the goal gave them new life.

Although, this setback did not stop Clarksburg’s defense which had shut Gaithersburg down the whole game. The finish to the game for Clarksburg has put them in perfect position to achieve their ultimate goal, winning the division was only the first step.

“The defense played extremely well to hold off the Gaithersburg attack,” senior center back Brandon John said. “I couldn’t be more proud of the team and what we have been able to accomplish so far.”

Clarksburg’s next game will be tonight at 7p.m. at Quince Orchard. A win would give the Coyotes a perfect divisional record for the regular season.