Will Net Neutrality Affect Cburg Internet?

With the Net Neutrality changes coming, CHS staff and students might be seeing a lot more loading symbols on their school computers.

jqueryscript.net

Andres Villanueva, Reporter

Net neutrality was voted on and repealed by the Federal Communications Commission on Dec. 14, 2017. It’s ultimate fate is currently in the hands of Congress to either revive it or let it die for good.

Net neutrality is a principle stating that internet service providers must provide access to all the content on the internet without helping or restricting certain sites. It is a principle which has been favored by most Americans, including those here at CHS, who see the effects of the repeal as problematic.

“I like net neutrality, I don’t like the repeal,” sophomore Hassan Edwan commented. “I want them to keep it.”

The anticipated long term impact of the repeal nationally and locally, have been on the minds of the people.

“Hopefully Clarksburg will have to pay more to provide internet and not the students,” Hassan continued. “But it does take away money from the student activities, which is bad.”

The consequences of the repeal and its effect on CHS is not certain, but many are primarily worried about the supposed monetary problems that may arise. Individuals and groups, including CHS, may need to seek more a more expensive internet service provider in order to keep all of the content accessible.

As expected, popularity for this policy has been so pervasive that the governor of New Jersey recently passed an executive order attempting to re-implement net neutrality locally. 

“While New Jersey cannot unilaterally regulate net neutrality back into law or cement it as a state regulation, we can exercise our power as a consumer to make our preferences known,” governor Phil Murphy said.

Despite the large support for it the opponents of net neutrality have ardently kept their ground and articulated their position as loudly as they can. This is true for CHS as well.

“I think it’s fine; [net neutrality] shouldn’t have passed in the first place. It’s irrelevant,” sophomore Ryan Nguyen said. “I don’t think it will have an effect, or at least nothing that noticeable.”

This attitude has been common among opponents of the principle. Seeing net neutrality as yet another government regulation which stifles competition, these opponents, in CHS and throughout the country, are happy to see the principle go without worry of its alleged consequences.

“I guess I don’t really understand it,” sophomore Noah Johnson said, taking an alternative opinion, “but it seems like lots of people are hyping it up too much.”

Johnson correctly perceives that the debate has created a lot of passion as noted by the rise of groups such as “Battle for the Net,” and the open alignment people and companies have taken to show their support for a return to the principle.

There is no way to say for certain what will result in a post net neutrality period. In the meantime individuals throughout Clarksburg have been paying attention, either out of fear for their personal internet or out of excitement for an improved internet.