From School to Spotlight

Sophomore Mateo Ferro, in his younger years, has now landed a role in a professional production of

Sophomore Mateo Ferro, in his younger years, has now landed a role in a professional production of “In the Heights”.

Tyler Neidecker, Editor

CHS sophomore Mateo Ferro has started his professional acting career on the big stage working beside Vanessa Hudgens in the “Broadway Center Stage” performance of “In the Heights”. This will be his third performance of “In the Heights”, but his first for a professional company.

“This has been my dream for a while now,” Ferro said. “I want to thank all of my friends, teachers and role models that helped and encouraged me to do great things.”

Ferro has been performing in theatre since the 7th grade. He started performing for a class project, and at first didn’t realize how that project would affect him later on. Just a couple months after playing a small role in “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”, Ferro starred as Aladdin for the Rocky Hill Middle School play. Mateo’s work ethic is definitely shown by his improvement in theatre and in everything he does.

Friend and former castmate, junior Saidou Sosseh said, “He is seriously the hardest working guy I know.”

That work ethic has opened up so many opportunities for Mateo in his life and career. Friend and former castmate, junior Carlos Hernandez said Ferro’s “dedication and effort put into his plays are remarkable; he sees what he wants, and gets it.”

Ferro and his family are dedicated to all of his plays. He and his family drove to Washington D.C., and New York City for auditions, and now, starting in early March, Ferro will be living in New York full time for rehearsals with his show which premieres March 21 at the Kennedy Center. Ferro is missing the CHS spring play because of auditioning. Many CHS staff and students will want to wish Ferro good luck in the next couple of weeks, but as Sosseh said, “He doesn’t need it.”