One of the Most Diverse Counties

Over a million people live in Montgomery County, MD but it remains one of the most diverse counties in the country.

US Census Bureau 2010

US Census Bureau 2010

Britney Escobar, Reporter

Montgomery County was recently ranked as one of the most diverse counties in America. In a study done by Wallethub.com four cities in Montgomery county were in the top ten most ethnically diverse cities in America.

When Wallethub conducted and ranked these cities factors that were taken into consideration included ethical diversity, linguistic diversity, and birthplace diversity. Gaithersburg was the the second most-diverse, Germantown came in third, Silver Spring in fourth, and Rockville in ninth.

According to Data USA Montgomery county is home to around 1.04 million people. On average the a person is 38 years old.  Homeowner’s property average of  $474,000. The majority of people residing in Montgomery county is 44.7% white with a second majority of 19% Hispanics, and a 17.6% of Blacks. The median household income is $98,917. Montgomery County is the 11th wealthiest county in America. Which makes it a very desirable place to want to live and work. The diverse communities that come together to make up Montgomery County allow there to be many more opportunities for people.

Diversity comes with both negative and positive impacts to a community. On the negative side it may cause tension between different types of peoples, including language barriers. Some positive aspects may include more business opportunities and more positions to fill in the work field. In MoCo, many students choose to hold jobs while attending school.

“When you work and go to school at the same time, it helps work on your social skills, and also keeps you on top of your schoolwork,” CHS senior Azriel Annor said.

Large industries in Montgomery County include those from professional, scientific, tech, healthcare, and social assistance fields which help employ many residents of the county and help boost the thriving economy dynamics of Montgomery county.

“Internships are available due to these large corporations which allow us, as students, to further experience the careers we want to pursue,”  CHS senior Rachel Stoll said.

However diverse communities in one area come with a variation of of achievement in academics. The Minority Scholars Program (MSP), a nationwide organization represented in many MoCo high schools, focuses in closing the achievement gap between minority students and white students.

“We try to bring equal opportunities to communities of  minorities so we can close the Achievement Gap” CHS senior Kiara Pereira said.