Girls Basketball Out-shoots Playoff Expectations

Senior+Phylicia+Mcinnis+was+a+key+component+of+the+Lady+Coyotes+playoff+success.+
Senior Phylicia Mcinnis was a key component of the Lady Coyotes playoff success.

Chris Lekhavanija

Chris Lekhavanija

Cornell Hanna, Reporter

After an impressive 61-57 win over Gaithersburg in the sectional semifinals, the CHS Girls Varsity Basketball team ended their season with a 76-40 loss to Richard Montgomery in the sectional finals last Thursday.

The team earned an impressive 16-6 record in regular season play during the 2017-2018 season. They were led by senior guard Phylicia Mcinnis, senior forward Sunny Paul, and sophomore center Trinity Klock. Unfortunately, both Paul and Klock suffered season ending injuries in January and February respectively. Despite the injuries, the team’s excellent play earned them the number two seed, a first round bye in this year’s playoff bracket, and gave them more time to prepare for their first game.

On Feb. 27  the Coyotes faced the Trojans in the second round of the playoffs. The two had already met twice in the regular season with each team winning once. This was a tight home playoff game that featured a strong CHS comeback. The Coyotes were led by McInnis, who scored 33 points, and junior forward Destini Chesley, who added 11 points. Everyone played excellent defense and brought the energy needed to pull off the 61-57 win.

“I stepped up and put the team on my back, I didn’t want to lose,” Mcinnis said.

After the impressive win, the team traveled to RM March 1 to face the top-seeded Rockets in the sectional finals. The Coyotes struggled to produce any offense in the first half, and Richard Montgomery seemed to make every shot they took. Mcinnis, the focal point of the Coyotes offense was double, sometimes triple-teamed, and struggled to get going. In the second half, Clarksburg started to pick it up, but it was too little, too late. The Coyotes fell to the Rockets 76-40.

Even though the team didn’t accomplish their goal of winning the state championship, they still had an amazing season and fought hard until the end. They were greatly impacted by injuries to two of their top three scorers, and yet they still went further than most thought they would.

“I’m really proud of our team for stepping up and playing as hard as they could no matter what setbacks we had and I think we worked hard from the beginning of the year all the way until the end,” Paul said.

Throughout the season, the Coyotes also bonded and got closer as a team which contributed to their success.

“The season was really good, we bonded well as a team and had no drama which helped on the court,” McInnis said. “The only thing that hurt us were the unexpected injuries.”