Guns in the Classroom

President Trump at a press conference where he discussed his views on guns in classrooms.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-gun-control-arm-teachers-latest-parkland-florida-shooting-stoneman-high-school-shooting-a8224261.html

Jordan Doss, Editor in Chief

Following the tragic shooting that took place on February 14th, 2018 at Stoneman Douglass High School in Florida, many citizens and school workers have been wondering what can be done to better ensure school safety. President Donald Trump and several of his constituents suggested shortly after the shooting at a press conference, that teachers be armed with guns in order to ensure their own safety, as well as their students’. With the addition of even more firepower in schools, the Republican house members agree that students may be more safe.

When the news broke that Trump was open to implementing gun usage in schools, many people were outraged.

“I feel that Trump is stupid because he is putting guns into the hands of people who are potentially not capable of properly using them,” CHS sophomore Nelly Doltaire said.

In Florida, a bill was passed by the Senate on March 9th that would render teachers incapable of possessing firearms on school property, however librarians, coaches, and other specialists may still be able to. Students all over the country have been anxious over if they are truly safe at school, but the issue created is whether or not students are ultimately safer with armed teachers, or in more danger.

“Teachers should have only the necessities on hand. This means erasers? Sure. Pencils? Maybe. Guns? No,” junior Nicole BenBassett said.

School shootings are a huge problem in the United States, with an enormous total of 142 shootings since 2012.

Stoneman Douglass shooting survivor David Hog said on vox.com, “I don’t feel comfortable being in a room with a teacher with a gun; I don’t feel comfortable really being around a gun unless it’s a law enforcement officer that has it. Would I support possibly having more school resource officers? Yes. But I would also just not feel comfortable bringing more guns into a place that’s supposed to be about learning. I don’t think the solution to the problem is more violence.”

By adding additional firepower to schools this could have the potential to increase the likeliness of casualties and shootings. A school building is no place for any sort of gun, no matter the holder. Students go to school to learn, not to watch their classmates get shot. Keep guns out of classrooms, and help ensure safety in all schools across the country.