Coyotes overcome #1 ranked Jaguars

Forward Stephen Armstrong, shown here against Urbana, scored the game tying 3-pointer against Northwest.

Giovanni Pizzino

Giovanni Pizzino

Tyler Neidecker, Reporter

With less than ten seconds remaining in their match up against top-seeded Northwest, the CHS Varsity Boys Basketball team trailed by three points with their season on the line. Coach Steve Watson called time out, and drew up a play to get the ball into the hands of senior guard Alex Behzadi, one of the team’s best three-point shooters.

As the clock ticked down, the Coyotes were unable to get Behzadi the ball, so senior forward Stephen Armstrong found himself with the ball and three seconds remaining in the game. Armstrong made his three-pointer from the right corner to send the game to overtime where the Coyotes dominated for a 72-63 win that advanced them to the sectional finals.

“The play went the wrong way, the ball ended up in my hands and I knew I had to do what I did,” Armstrong said.

The Coyotes had a great first quarter, leading the Jaguars by more than 10 at one point, and they did not look like they were going to slow down. Both teams played with a lot of passion as both teams traded big plays which caused the fans to erupt in emotion. Armstrong had a lot of game-changing plays to help the Coyotes beat the Jags in overtime.

At times the passion and emotion in the stands became too much. In the fourth quarter Armstrong was hit by a gatorade bottle and a hot dog bun thrown by a Jaguars fan.

“I understand their frustration, they were number one and they were losing to a number five team,” Armstrong said

The upset win came after another great win over fourth-seeded Quince Orchard. For the eight seniors on the team, each playoff game could potentially be the last game that they would ever play for the school.

“I play every game thinking that it could be my last, so I treated this one as any other,” Bezhadi said.

Clarksburg will now advance to face #2-seed Gaithersburg in the sectional final with a chance to earn a trip to the regional finals at the University of Maryland.