Students Protest to say #enoughisenough

Students Protest to say #enoughisenough

Dozens of shoes were left in front of the Capitol to symbolize the victims of gun violence.

Jordan Uhl

Jordan Uhl

Jordan Uhl

Britney Escobar, Reporter

Around 2,500 Montgomery County students missed a day of school to join a nationwide protest for stricter gun laws March 14.

Students gathered at the White House and matched down to the nation’s Capitol. Students brought a variety of posters while chanting.

“We all wanted to go out and fight for our safety and future” CHS senior Neilah Morency said.

During the march, different Congressmen and women came out from the Capitol to see the outcome, many of them cheered them on. Important people such as House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer came to talk and give a speech at the front of the Capitol.

Many students from Montgomery County, including Student Member of the Board Mat Post, stood up and spoke about the issues at hand, and the changes that they would like to see. They wanted stricter gun laws that include more invasive background checks. They asked that their safety become a priority, and that gun violence, including school and mass shootings, come to an end.

Many news channels such as MSNBC, CBS, and Telemundo were there to stream the march. This march had nationwide coverage. These issues affect families and the safety of their children around the nation.

“You never know who can be next, it can happen at any time to anyone of us,” CHS senior Aleyda Ramos

Many schools around the DMV did not allow students to skip a school day to participate in this march. Many districts, such as Montgomery County, would not allow this absence to be excused. Schools held on-campus walkouts to show their support.

“Missing one day is of school is small price to pay because we are fighting for our future” CHS senior Lori Montenegro said.

Students are trying to make congress to pass bills that would make stricter gun laws.These laws include that when one goes to buy a gun they their is a more intensive background search and to see if the are registered on any offenders list & that they be evaluated for their mental health Also they are fighting to eliminate the use of semi-automatic guns.

Next on this movement is another nationwide protest on Saturday the 24th where families of the Parkland shooting and other victims of mass shootings will come join the march to fight for stricter gun laws.