Girls Lacrosse Looks Forward to a Successful Season

The 2018 Varsity Girls Lax team, including senior captain Gianna Giacalone (above), is trying to change team culture for increased success this season.

Tony Kosiyachinda

Tony Kosiyachinda

Cornell Hanna, Reporter

Last year, the girls lacrosse team finished with a disappointing 3-10 record, but they are looking to turn things around this year with more experience, and more chemistry both on and off the field.

Prior to the start of the season, the girls worked out 2-3 times a week at various fields throughout Clarksburg on their own time to improve their skill and get ready for the season. They are led by 4 senior captains: Kirsten Miller, Abby Smith, Gianna Giacalone and Kate Vo.

“We are very young and talented,” coach Denise Miller said. “We also have lots of leadership and I’m looking forward to see what this season brings us.”

Some players think there is less drama this year which is credited to the improved leadership and more disciplined coaching. According to some member of the team, egos have gotten in the way and led to internal conflicts throughout the locker room in previous years. This year, the team feels like the less drama, the easier it is to focus on playing lacrosse.

“It’s better this year because we can just focus on lacrosse and not other stuff,” Kirsten Miller said.

“There is less drama this year because they know I’ll make them run,” Denise Miller said.

Along with working out in the preseason, the team also conducts team bonding sessions in order to gel more closely as a team. They pick a teammate’s house where they spend quality time together doing various activities in an effort to strengthen their relationships.

The Coyotes are in the 4A West Division which features strong opponents including Quince Orchard, Poolesville, Northwest, Gaithersburg, Watkins Mill and Seneca Valley. Clarksburg finished 2-4 in division play last year, beating Watkins Mill and Seneca Valley.

“Quince Orchard and Poolesville are the best in our division, but if we work together I think we can beat them,” Kirsten Miller said.

Another thing the girls would like is some respect. They are tired of other sports saying that girls lacrosse isn’t a real sport due to lack of contact and enhanced regulations.