Increased School Violence in MoCo Causes Safety Concerns

After a CHS student brought a gun into the school, there have been dozens of threats and incidents around the state of Maryland.

Kate Ryan

Kate Ryan

Gabby Martin, Reporter

There have been 17 school shootings in the U.S. since 2018 has started.

Most notably, on Valentine’s Day student Nikolas Cruz shot 17 people at Stoneman Douglas high school in Parkland, Fla. This shooting has since created many conflicts, threats, and other shootings to occur.

In Montgomery County there have been dozens of threats made towards schools in the county. After a student brought a gun to school here at CHS, there was a threat made towards  Northwest HS and their students were released early. The aftermath of these incidents has caused many students to fear going to school the following day.

“I felt terrified knowing students could bring weapons into our school so easily,” CHS senior Lori Montenegro said. “Very scary knowing that he even had access to a gun and I will, from now on, always have my guard up no matter what setting I’m in.” 

Incidents like this shouldn’t go unnoticed, and require legal action to be taken. After the incident at CHS, principal Edward Owusu started a number that students can text if they see or hear of something suspicious in or outside of school property. Many schools, including CHS have been asked to lock all doors in the building, including the portables, while class is in session. In order to get through any doors students will need a key card provided by a  teacher to enter the school. This was done to insure that kids are safe and no one can just walk in. Ensuring kids safety is all the county can do from this point on to make sure violent threats and incidents do not occur again.

The 15-year-old student at Northwest was caught making bomb threats on social media, and was charged as a juvenile with offenses relating to disruption of school operations.

We take every threat seriously, we investigate every threat to its fullest, and if a threat is deemed credible, then we will pursue criminal charges,” Montgomery County Police officer Rick Goodale said.

Recently another violent incident happened at Great Mills high school in St. Mary’s County, Maryland on March 20. A 17-year-old shot one male and one female student before being shot and killed by the school’s resource officer. The school was placed on lockdown, and then was evacuated.

“We need more prayers, we gotta take action” governor Larry Hogan said.