4-Day School Week

30% of all school districts in Colorado are participating in a 4-day school week.

www.nbcnews.com/

Jordan Doss, Editor in Chief

Colorado school district 27J has requested from the state that they be able to change their school week from 5 days to 4. If the state approves, 27J will be the 99th district in Colorado to implement a 4-day school week. This new schedule would make elementary school hours from 7:50 a.m. to 3:30 p.m, and middle and high school hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. With an additional day off each week, teachers would be able to create lesson plans for the week and spend more time catching up on grading.

“I see definite advantages with a day of teacher work that’s not a student day. It gives us more time to prepare things for classes and  keep up with grading and feedback, and at the same time it gives students more time to get work done and you have a longer break between an excessive amount of homework,” social studies teacher Richard Mathias said.

About 170 American school districts have already adopted a 4-day school week, but not everyone is in agreement on whether this shortened schedule is in all students’ best interest.

“If Maryland decided to do this, I don’t know if I would want that for our county because I feel like that could change the amount of breaks and days off that we get, and we might be given more homework on the weekends too,” junior Sara Powers said.

However, some students are in favor of a change and would welcome a shorter school week in MoCo.

“Having an extra day for Maryland schools would be pretty good, it lets us students sleeping a bit, and would allow us to have another day to recover from our weekends and prepare for the week,” senior Balmory Moran said.

Between students, teachers, and parents, there is a large amount of controversy surrounding whether or not a shorter school week would be ultimately beneficial. As more and more counties decide to apply this to their schools, the more likely it becomes that a change like this could be headed Maryland’s way.