The good. The bad. The Robert Griffin III

Robert Griffin III in both his former teams uniform (Redskins, right) and new team (Ravens, left)

Stub_Sportsedits

Tyrelle Smith, News Editor

As the NFL offseason heads closer to the NFL Draft, jaw-dropping trades and questionable signings have been the talk of the town. One debatable signing this week was former Redskins starting quarterback Robert Griffin III signing a one-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens.

The news first made headlines on Twitter when the Ravens posted “We have agreed to a one-year deal with QB Robert Griffin.” Griffin, who was nicknamed RGIII in his rookie campaign, is now 28-years-old, and ready to resurrect his career.

Griffin was drafted 2nd in the 2012 draft by the Washington Redskins. That season Griffin threw for 3,200 yards, 20 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions. In the same year  he led his team to an NFC Wild card game against the Seattle Seahawks. In that game Griffin would suffer a torn LCL, ACL, and meniscus. After these injuries, Griffin would make a comeback just to suffer a dislocated ankle in 2014, and a concussion in 2015. The Redskins had enough, and Griffin signed a 2-year, $15 million deal with the Cleveland Browns in 2016 where he was placed on injury reserved after a shoulder fracture in week 1.

Nobody has seen Griffin take the field since, which raises the question for the Ravens GM to answer, “Why RGIII?” A number of fans, including some CHS staff and students are upset about this signing.

CHS junior Tyler Ramlal explained that acquiring RGIII “is a waste of time”.

Junior Shane Paul said, “He isn’t good enough to start for the Ravens in such little time,” referring to the one-year deal.

Others found positivity in this pick up. Senior Corey Bullington stated “It’s a step in the right direction, because if Joe Flacco gets injured, then we have an experienced QB to fall back on.”

The Ravens certainly think the same thing by signing the former Heisman Trophy winner.

Law teacher Clifford Elgin commented “There isn’t much to say about this signing, we’ll just have to see how this plays out.”

After falling short of making the playoffs from losing a must win game against division rivals, Cincinnati Bengals, the Ravens finished with a 9-7 record and look to improve. Can RGIII be the savior of Maryland football?