SSL for Wellness Week

CHS students worked on SSL projects for local community organizations Monday April 10.

Shella Cherry

Shella Cherry

Arielle Ruiz, Reporter

During SAT testing day April 10, CHS teachers from the SGA provided a variety of activities in the cafeteria for non-testing students who created meaningful items for dogs, veterans/soldiers, and even kids in cancer treatment.  

For each student involved in making a dog toy, stress ball, or any student participating in one of the other activities, they earned 3 SSL hours. History teacher Lory Gardner and Special Education teacher Danielle Holmes bought the materials for the activities the weekend before, and they also asked members in the SGA if they would volunteer during the activities.

“I think the projects will bring a lot of joy into places that need it,” Gardner said.  

“I felt part of the community knowing that no matter what I did, it was to help out,” freshman Cristian Lopez said.

Students were able to make stress balls, tissue paper flowers, dog toys, bookmarks, and cards. Each project helped someone in one way: the tissue paper flowers were given to cancer patients because during treatment they usually can’t be around real flowers, the stress balls and cards went to kids in hospitals to relieve stress and lift their spirits, and the cards and encouraging messages also went to veterans and soldiers overseas.

“I also think that pausing our busy lives and spending time helping others reminds us to be grateful for what we have and those we love,” Gardner said.

“It’s important to understand that the activity was to help those who needed it,” Lopez said.

Once the activities were finished, they were collected and later sent to different locations like “Reading is Fundamental”, local animal shelters, cancer centers, veteran organizations and more.

“Being sick or away from family and friends can be depressing and isolating; sometimes the knowledge that someone is cheering for you can give a person the strength to keep fighting,” Gardner said.

Shella Cherry
Some of the projects/materials used by CHS students.

Shella Cherry
Some of the SSL Projects created by CHS students.

Shella Cherry
More CHS students working on their SSL projects.