Former CHS Athletic Director Charged with Sexual Assault of Teen in the 80’s

Montgomery County Police

Andres Villanueva, Reporter

A former CHS staff member is facing charges of sexual assault with a female student during the mid-80s while working at Rockville High School.

63-year-old Michael Riley was employed by MCPS from 1979-2010. In addition to Rockville, he has also taught at Richard Montgomery, and worked as an athletic director in Poolesville, CHS, and, until recently, the Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School.  

Police obtained an arrest warrant for Riley April 24, and he turned himself that same day.

“Police say Riley is facing charges for an alleged sexual relationship with a 16-year-old female student at Rockville during the 1984-1985 school year,” according to a Fox News report. “Investigators say Riley had sex with the girl at school and during school hours, and now faces child abuse and child molestation charges.”

The news has caused a shock among those in MCPS.

“That’s just so crazy,” CHS sophomore Diego Vanegas commented. “If he’s been to so many schools who knows who else had problems with him.”

“While it has been several years since Mr. Riley worked at our school, and none of our current students would have interacted with him while he worked here, I wanted to make sure you were aware of this matter,” principal Edward Owusu said in a statement made to CHS staff. Riley was the CHS Athletic Director from 2006-2010.

However, the Jewish Day School has announced they “have no reason to believe that [Riley] engaged in any inappropriate conduct” at the school.

The investigation is still underway and new information could be revealed soon. MCPD is asking that anyone with information helpful to the investigation call the Special Victims Investigations Division of the Montgomery County Police Department at 240-773-5400.