MC Offers Free Tuition Through State Scholarships

Montgomery College

Maryland residents will now be eligible for scholarships to in-state community colleges, like Montgomery College (above), that would cover the full cost of tuition.

Jordan Doss, Alum

Governor Larry Hogan signed over 200 bills Tuesday May 8, one of which that intends to decrease the expenses of community college for low and middle-class Maryland residents.

The amount of scholarship money available to applicants is approximately $5,000, which fully covers Montgomery College’s $3,660 tuition. The requirements for eligibility state that a single-income household must make $90,000 or less per year, and a household with two incomes must make less than $125,000. In addition to these rules, the applicant must have finished high school two years within applying, must take 12 credit hours per semester, and must have a high school GPA of 2.3 or above. This bill will be in full effect in 2019, where any applicable Maryland residents are welcome to apply.

“I think this is a great idea because there are plenty of people who are going to graduate who don’t have enough money to afford college and pursue their career,” sophomore Jessica Morales said. “This could bring so many more students towards a college education because of the financial opportunity that reassures they don’t have to struggle for an education.” .

Although the support over his bill is mainly positive, some concerns surround where the funds for these scholarships will be coming from.

“Personally I’m worried about who it is that they would tax more for the money needed to pay for the tuitions,” senior Daniela Torres said. “If they tax middle and low income people, then there really is no point to the law as they are paying extra anyway. Either way, I’m sure that the people who do get taxed will not be happy about it, so it will be interesting to see.” .

The addition of scholarships for students whose families make less than enough to substantially pay for college is a dream come true for many and has the potential to provide hundreds of people education that they otherwise may not have gotten.