Poms, Cheer Replace Coaching Staffs for Next Year

Coaches Sydney Bankins, Jasmine Sutton and Shaneil Turnbull will take over JV Cheer, Varsity Cheer and Poms respectively.

Ed Dalton

Gabby Martin, Reporter

There will be two new additions to the CHS coaching staff next year school year.

Coming from Seneca Valley are two new cheerleading coaches, and a new poms coach. Jasmin Sutton will take over varsity cheerleading and Sydney Banks will take over the JV program. The new poms coach is Shaniel Turnbull.

The CHS athletic department announced the new hirings April 20. All three coaches had great success during their time with the Seneca Valley programs.

After the announcement, Sutton tweeted out, “Super excited to get started with my tribe Shaneil [Turnbull] & Sydney [Banks].”

One of the reasons for the coaching changes was that the former coaches could no longer devote all their time to the teams. Former Varsity Cheer coach Julie Ganassa is the head of the CHS English department, and couldn’t do both. Former coach Ashley McCasland will be attending nursing school, and will not have time with her day job and night school. Poms coach Hayley Lappin left for personal reasons.

With new coaches next season will be different, but both programs will continue to grow and strive during their seasons. Graduating seniors from varsity cheer will help with tryouts and clinics. Both teams held an interest meeting May 8 during lunch to meet the participants for next year’s teams.

The CHS poms team competes in MCPS division 3 and the cheer team competes in division 1. The cheer and poms program are amazing and a fun way to team build and promote school spirit.

“Performing at halftime was the best,” senior poms captain Lori Montenegro said. “Being a part of the community and a role model to others was a good feeling to have.”

Getting adjusted to new coaches will likely be a challenge because returning members of the team are used to the way things were run. However everyone is hoping for an amazing and successful season for both teams.