2018-2019 SGA Elections Bring New Leaders to the Burg

Clarksburg High will have a new team of SGA Officers after last week's elections.

Clarksburg HS

Arielle Ruiz, Reporter

As the Class of 2018 moves on from their time at CHS, a new wave of student leaders is emerging and competing for converted SGA positions for next school year. Student Government Association (SGA) is a school-wide organization that helps with the schools issues, activities and issues the students have.

After votes were tallied, the following were elected to next year’s SGA; President is Lucas Fernandez, Secretary is Cindy Nguyen, Treasurer is Riya Suthar, Historian is Joanna Yoo, Senior VP is Jade Porter, Junior VP is Viharika Pasupuleti, and Sophomore VP is Zahir Abdul-Muid.

The position of being President requires planning meeting agendas, running general assembly and officer meetings, communicating with other members of the SGA, and participating in an internship during the school day.

“I want administration to hear the voice of the students,” president elect Lucas  Fernandez said.

The SGA Vice President is responsible for the communication between the SGA and class councils, steps in for the President when the student is unavailable, attends class council meetings, and gains the students thoughts on the student body.

“I will put all my time, effort and dedication into making Clarksburg HS and SGA the best it can be,” Sophomore VP elect Zahir Muid said.

The Treasurer helps create the SGA’s yearly budget, keeping an up-to-date binder on the purchases, and organizing the students who participate while handling money; such as ticket sales and fundraising.

“I want to work with other SGA members and the students to find out what their needs are and implement them as much as I can,” said Treasurer elect Riya Suthar.

The SGA Secretary takes meeting notes, keeps a meeting binder, and emails the meeting notes to; the other officers, class council president, and the SGA advisors.

“I want to connect the SGA with the student body so that wishes and opinions of students can reach the ears of SGA and become reality,” said Secretary candidate Cindy Nguyen.

Lastly, the Historian of SGA will manage the advertising of SGA sponsored activities, keep track and document events by photographing and building a digital scrapbook, gain the support of students on events and feedback by reaching out to them through social media or in person, managing the CHS twitter; instagram, and gmail accounts, and has access to the SGA link for the CHS website.

The SGA is responsible for certain school activities such as pep rallies, spirit week, and homecoming. With previous SGA members leaving and more students entering high school next years SGA members all depend on CHS student votes, for the positions of President, Vice President, Secretary, Historian, and Treasurer.