Class of 2019 “storms” past previous senior traditions

The senior storm by the Class of 19, included a color run and principal Edward Owusu being

The senior storm by the Class of 19, included a color run and principal Edward Owusu being "kidnapped" in a rolling computer chair.

Jayme Jaramillo

Jayme Jaramillo

During the first regular school day after the 2018 Graduation Ceremony, CHS juniors started their seniority off right at 7:25 a.m. Tuesday, June 5.

The students stormed the hallways for half of first period chanting “One! Nine!, One! Nine!, One! Nine!” In the past students have stormed the halls in beach attire or neon-colored clothes, but the class of ‘19 wanted to do something different. The students met at the outdoor basketball courts in all black clothes and then decorated their clothes, bodies, and the school grounds by spraying bright colored powder all over the place.

This is going to be the CHS class that ends in the teens, so many juniors wanted to make this a monumental senior storm.

“We are going to surprise the school with spirit and pride,” junior Willy Messobo said. “We want to leave a dent in Clarksburg when we leave, and we are starting to hammer now.”

As the students stampeded through the halls and brought principal Edward Owusu along with them in a rolling computer chair, every person in their path knew to stand back during this yearly tradition. Teachers, students, and even the security guards knew not to mess with the storm.

“I heard the music and the feet stomp of the wild juniors running down the hallway,” sophomore Amelia Nail said. “I immediately moved to the side of the hallway and just waited for the craziness to stop.”

Most people thought the storm would end with the juniors exiting the building and eventually going to class, but as Messobo said, they wanted to make a dent. After the students left the building, they went back to the basketball courts and recreated this year’s senior prank. The seniors pranked the school with a “Coachella-like” concert on the courts, so the juniors intended to one-up that with a dance-off of their own.

“Numbers and spirit wise the class of ‘19 is better than the class of ‘18,”  junior Tre Horton said. “We will be the biggest and best class Clarksburg has ever seen.”

Many juniors agree that no one is stopping the class of ’19 as they grow into their roles as school veterans and leaders.

“The storm will continue to grow until someone is strong enough to stop us,” Horton said.