Kneeling with Nike

"Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything." Kaepernick said

Tyler Neidecker, Editor

In the NFL’s 2016-2017 season Colin Kaepernick, a former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, decided to kneel during the National Anthem to “improve social justice and racial equality before [he] considers ending this national anthem protest.” said Kaepernick. This was a huge controversy that has seemed to die down over a couple months but now is brought up again when Nike made an advertisement about Kaepernick and his protest.

The advertisement is for Nike’s 30th anniversary. On the ad there is a picture of Kaepernick with a quote stating, “ Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.” This quote is backing Kaepernick on his decision to kneel. Since the kneeling incident, Kaepernick has been dropped by the 49ers and has not been picked up since then.

Not only has it been Kaepernick sacrificing his career, but Nike has sacrificed a lot as well. Even though a lot of people love Nike apparel there has been a record return rate to sports stores for Nike items. Store Associate at Modell’s Sporting Goods, Andy Flores said, “ Usually on a regular day I deal with 2 or 3 returns but of all brands, in the past week I have probably dealt with 20 or 30 Nike returns.”

A lot of people support Kaepernick and Nike in their campaign but there are still many others that say this is disrespectful towards our military.

“I don’t agree with Kaepernick, he is disrespecting the men and women who risked their lives for him and his country… If he wants to protest something, do it in a way that is good for this country,” said senior David Pullen.

Kaepernick has been accused for having no respect for our military, when before he started kneeling Kaepernick asked U.S. Army veteran Nate Boyer what he should do, to show respect but also protest at the same time. Boyer said, “ As military we show our respect to our fallen soldiers by kneeling, so take a knee instead of sitting.” This suggests that Kaepernick never had the intent to disrespect the military.

“Personally I think he is smart for doing it that way, he got the attention he wanted,” said senior Noah Dickerson.

As Kaepernick’s article said, “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.”