CHS Field Hockey Off to a Good Start

Coach Natoli coaches up her team during a game

John Guglielmone, editor

After losing in the state semifinals last year, the CHS Varsity Field Hockey team opened up the 2018 season by defeating the Urbana Hawks 2-1.

Clarksburg started the game strong when sophomore Kyra Bencal scored within the first 10 minutes of the game. The Coyotes held the lead heading into halftime.

“I definitely think that scoring first and scoring early gave us a giant boost of confidence,” senior captain Anna Bertrand said. “Urbana is a really strong team so I think that the goal just showed that we were a really strong team too and could totally win the game”.

Neither team scored until there were about 7 minutes left in the game when Urbana scored the game-tying goal to even the score 1-1.

“First I got sad because I felt like it was an easy goal that we could have avoided,” senior captain Charlotte Pond said. “But after looking at my teammates, we all had ice in our veins, and we just wanted to win even more.”

But in the final minutes the Coyotes pulled it out and scored again thanks to a goal by Bertrand.

“It was a momentum game, just going back and forth and back and forth” coach Sissy Natoli said. “As soon as Bertrand broke loose and scored, I knew we were going to win and pull it out”.

Natoli has been the head coach for the varsity field hockey team since the school opened in 2006. By reaching the state semifinals last season, the 2017 team went farther than any other previous field hockey team in school history. Now this year’s team hopes to advance even further this season.

The Coyotes’ next game is at home Sept. 14th against Seneca Valley at 7pm.