MD Gubernatorial Election: Hogan v. Jealous

On the left Incumbent Larry Hogan (Rep.) on the right Former NAACP president Ben Jealous (Dem.)

https://www.wmdt.com/2018/06/ben-jealous-to-oppose-gov-hogan-on-2018-november-ballot/759314773/

Zhubin Bashiri, Editor

The 2018 midterms are starting to heat up in Maryland as the gubernatorial election involving two extremely interesting candidates is only two months away.

The election will take place Nov. 6 between incumbent governor Larry Hogan (Rep.) and former NAACP president Ben Jealous (Dem.). Hogan has a staggering 70% approval rating in Maryland, according to the Baltimore Sun.

According to Sun reporter Mileah Kromer, if “ Mr. Hogan wins reelection, particularly in the midst of a blue wave, he demonstrates to the Republican Party that his politics are a viable alternative to Trump-style populism. A platform, message and style that both satisfies the base and appeals to a broader coalition of voters is perhaps what Republicans need lest they risk conceding.”

This means Hogan’s moderate Republican-style could be the most able option to gaining more voters and winning future elections.

History teacher Michael Trumbull doubled down on this by explaining, “I guess if he wins, you could start seeing Democrats voting Republican… and I guess that’s how he won the previous election.”

Jealous has been the surprise of this 2018 gubernatorial election. The first shockwave was when he upset Rushern Baker in the Democratic primary. According to the Washington Post, he dominated Maryland getting 39.8% of the vote and Baker getting a 29.3% of the vote.

Kromer added that, “a Jealous victory in November makes evident that an unapologetic progressive can both win a competitive primary and best a skilled general election opponent in a statewide race. A victory won by turning out new ‘unlikely’ voters and convincing moderate Democrats and independents to support a progressive platform validates a framework that the Democratic Party establishment has yet to fully embrace.”

If Ben Jealous wins he could be the first African-American governor of Maryland.

When it comes down to the statistics it does not bode well for Jealous as Hogan leads him by an average of 14.5 percentage points according to multiple sources. The most recent county polls conducted by Gonzales show Hogan leading in Eastern shore 72 percent to 21 percent, Baltimore county 63 percent to 27 percent, Western Maryland and Anne Arundel county 61 percent to 33 percent.

It looks extremely steep for Jealous as he only leads in Montgomery county 60 percent to 33 percent, Baltimore city 44 percent to 38 percent and Prince George’s county leading only by 46 percent to 33 percent which is actually quite shocking due to Prince George’s county having an incredibly liberal black population “something is happening in the city and Prince george’s county” Gonzales research stated about Hogan’s results “if he gets 33 percent  in Prince George’s County on Election Day, he’ll get re-elected.”

The 2018 Midterms are heating up as we approach the gubernatorial elections who will Maryland choose? Their first black governor former NAACP president Ben Jealous or will they re-elect their second republican governor in 60 years? The possibilities are endless.