Boys Soccer Kicks Off Playoffs with First-Round Win

Jonathan Del Cid (7) and the CHS varsity soccer team took care of first-round opponent QO with a 1-0 win last Thursday.

Wonghan/Lifetouch

Wonghan/Lifetouch

Wonghan/Lifetouch

Lucia Bramer, Reporter

The CHS Boys varsity soccer team needed to win their first playoff game this season against Quince Orchard Thursday, Oct. 25 in order to continue advancing through the playoffs. With support from surprisingly loud fans in the cold temperatures, the Coyotes took a 1-0 victory against the Quince Orchard Cougars.

The game started out strong with Clarksburg having great possession and stout defense. Within the first 15 minutes of the game, the Coyotes already had two great opportunities on missed shots. In the 25th minute, Clarksburg finally managed to score while the Cougar goalie was not at his post. With a nice pass from senior middie Brian Bond, junior striker Abraham Israel scored the game-winning goal.

“I knew we were going to win, but I still felt relieved when I shot the goal,” Israel said.

Shortly after the Coyotes’ goal, junior center back Henry Sanchez got injured and had to move to the bench to get checked by the athletic trainer.

“I was afraid of not being able to play again of course, especially in the playoffs,” Sanchez said, “I was glad I could play again just after a few minutes.”

Just before the first half was over, a questionable offsides call left players and audience upset. The entire second half was played slowly as the Coyotes looked to take time off the clock to maintain the lead.

Clarksburg did a good job blocking QO´s passes when they were speeding up the game, trying to get chances for the game-tying goal. The team also maintained possession with very precise passes as they were running out the Cougars’ time.

“Our defense definitely helped us battling QO, they truly were like a brick wall,” Bond said.

The Coyotes missed a perfect chance for a second goal with 18 minutes left in the game as Quince Orchard started playing more aggressively. With two minutes left on the clock and the ball being on the Coyotes’ side of the field, the Cougars didn’t have a chance to make it a tie.  

Now Clarksburg will proceed to play at top-seeded Gaithersburg in the Sectional Semifinal Oct. 30.

“Gaithersburg has great techniques so it will be a challenge facing them tonight. I hope we’ll make it,” Bond said.