Field Hockey Reaches 2nd Consecutive Regional Final

Team is one win away from returning to state semis

The CHS varsity field hockey team defeated QO 4-1 Monday to advance to the regional finals.

Ed Dalton

Ed Dalton

Ed Dalton

Kara Peeler and Sagun Shrestha

After remaining undefeated all season, the CHS varsity field hockey team beat Quince Orchard 4-1 in their second-round playoff game Monday, Oct. 29, securing their spot in this year’s regional finals.

This season, the Lady Coyotes became the first team to go undefeated through the regular season in Clarksburg athletics history. This winning streak boosted the team’s confidence, ultimately making the players work harder in order to accomplish more.

“One of the greatest things is, every year a team develops a personality,”  coach Sissy Natoli said. “This team has developed a very intense, competitive personality in a very positive way.”

During the first half, sophomore Kyra Bencal scored the first goal for the Coyotes, with QO tying the game shortly after. The tie was broken by two consecutive, unassisted goals by senior captain Anna Bertrand which allowed the Coyotes to lead for the remainder of the game. Senior Alyssa Worthman closed out the match by scoring the last point and securing a win for the Coyotes.

“We went in the game confident, but not cocky,” Bencal said. “We knew we had to continue our good teamwork and communication coming into this game.”

Even before the game, Natoli was completely confident in her team’s performance, saying that if their “A-Team” showed up, they were sure to win. She credits most of the team’s success to its captains, which include Bertrand and senior Charlotte Pond, the team’s two most experienced players. They are considered to be great leaders and role models for the rest of the team and even brought in the two junior captains Joanna Yoo and Rachel Oh.

“I have great leadership in our captains,” Natoli said. “Our captains are doing a phenomenal job and I think they took the leadership role earlier in the season and that’s made a difference now.”

By being undefeated, the team was acknowledged as part of The Washington Post’s Field Hockey Top 10 two weeks ago. Though it was considered a major accomplishment, the recognition was not as glamorous as it seemed, since more and more teams wanted to beat those ranked high.

“I’m excited for the players that they got the recognition that they deserve, but sometimes, as a coach, I like to be a little under that radar,” Natoli stated.

With this many consecutive wins, the Lady Coyotes seem unstoppable and are set to play in the regional finals against Sherwood at Walter Johnson High School Wednesday, Oct 31.

“We’re so excited to see where our hard work takes us,” Bencal said.