Historic Girls Soccer Season Ends With Heartbreak

Team earns best record in CHS history but falls in playoff penalty kicks

Senior goalie Sienna Williams and the CHS Girls Soccer team earned the best regular season record in school history this season.

Wonghan/Lifetouch

Wonghan/Lifetouch

Wonghan/Lifetouch

Megan Kerchaert, Reporter

After six rounds of nail-biting penalty kicks, the CHS varsity girls soccer team fell short, 5-4, in their second-round matchup against Wootton Tuesday night.

Even though the final outcome was upsetting for the Lady Coyotes, they greatly improved from last season’s record and plan to improve even more next year. With a record of 9-3, the team had the best regular-season record in CHS girls soccer history. 

“I’ve coached for 14 years and this is the first time I’ve had to coach through PK’s,” coach Katie Johnson said. Johnson took over the team last year and coached the team to the second round of playoffs last year where they lost to QOHS.

After 100 minutes of field play and neither team scoring, the game came down to intense penalty kicks. Senior captain and goalie Sienna Williams had 22 saves throughout the entire game helping her team to dominate against the Lady Patriots and preventing them from scoring. Unfortunately, the Lady Coyotes were unable to get a goal themselves so Williams prepared herself for the penalty kicks to come.

“I do some jumping jacks. I have to make sure I make myself big,” Williams explained. “It’s all a mind thing to try and make myself look bigger in the goal so that the shooter gets intimidated.”

Williams made an impactful first save on the first penalty kick from Wootton, giving Clarksburg a spark of energy and momentum.

Senior forward/midfielder Megan Puig and sophomore midfielder Marissa Yowell started the Coyotes off to a great start by scoring on the team’s first two penalty kicks. After a miss from Clarksburg on the third kick, the score was 2-2. Senior defense/midfielder Therese De Leon and senior captain and midfielder Sophie Jorgensen made a huge statement by making the remaining two penalty kicks and tying the score 4-4.

After De Leon’s goal, she stated, “When I saw the ball hit the net, I felt a huge relief and I knew that I was able to contribute to my team in a positive way.”

Going into sudden death the Lady Coyotes missed their final shot resulting in the Lady Patriots win and advancement to the second round of playoffs where they faced QO.

Even after the defeat, the girls kept their heads high looking back on their historical season.

“I was just really proud of my team because we were able to come together on the field when a lot of schools underestimated us and it was just a really nice chance to prove them wrong,” De Leon said.