Smartphone Screen Sizes Spark Debate

Smartphone Screen Sizes Spark Debate

Screen size is a major debate with today‘s cell phone users and new advances could double their sizes.

USA Today

USA Today

USA Today

Ronak Tallur, Contributor

What do you want for Christmas this year? What is at the top of your birthday wish list? Is it a new smartphone?

In the 21st century, smartphones have become the largest source of communication in the world. With companies like Apple, Samsung, and Google putting new smartphone models on the market every year, it is no wonder that each phone has a different layout.

The most noticeable difference between a phone released in 2017 and one released in 2018 is the size of the devices. The iPhone XR, which was released in Oct. 2018, has a noticeably larger height, width, and diagonal length than 2017’s iPhone 8.

The issue of smartphone sizes is very important for high schoolers who, according to Common Sense Media, spend an average of nine hours a day online. Seemingly everyone has a phone on them; it is one of the most popular sources for internet access. However, as phones increase in size, they become difficult to carry around easily.

“I would definitely want a smaller phone. If it’s too big, I can’t keep it comfortably in my pocket,” sophomore Rohan Rajesh explained.

The argument against larger phones is valid. Phones have grown to such an extent that they have been dubbed “phablets”. This unprecedented growth could one day lead to students carrying their phones around in their backpacks instead of their pockets.

New foldable prototypes that merge phone and tablet capabilities are in the works for 2019 and would provide even larger screens. Larger phones have surged in popularity, gaining the support of many Clarksburg students.

“Bigger phones are much better for watching movies and playing games,” sophomore Divahar Sivanesan contended.

The issue of smartphone sizes will continue to spark debate for years to come. As humans become more reliant on cellular devices, they will be forced to answer the question as to whether larger smartphones are a help or a hindrance.