Basketball Teams Look to Start Season Strongly

Both varsity teams must replace multiple starters

Senior Denise Ventura (center) tipped off the 2018-2019 season for both varsity basketball teams.

Ed Dalton

Ed Dalton

Ed Dalton

John Guglielmone, Editor

Both CHS varsity basketball teams have high expectations heading into the 2018-2019 season despite turning over large parts of their rosters.

After coming off a trip to the Regional Semi-Finals last year, the varsity boys basketball team will be looking to build off their accomplishments and advance deeper into the playoffs this season. A young roster of players, most of whom were on JV last year, will look for a quick start with intense energy during each game.

“If we do what we’re supposed to do and stick to our game plan then we will have a very good chance at winning,” said sophomore guard Yuri Covington.

During last year’s playoffs, the Coyotes upset two consecutive higher seeds before eventually falling to Gaithersburg in the Regional Semi-Finals. All five starters from last year graduated requiring a lot of new faces this season. The returning players from last year’s roster have plenty of confidence in their new teammates.

“I am confident we will win because we have a competitive group of guys who will do whatever it takes to win,” said senior Shane Paul. “Doing our assignments on defense and executing on offense will win us this game.”

The girls varsity team made it to the regional quarterfinal last year and are hoping to go further this year despite losing 4 starters from their team last year.

“We simply need to believe in ourselves and hustle the entire game and we will win,” said senior Sienna Williams. “I’m very confident because we’ve been working hard in practice to overcome the obstacles we’ve been dealt with so far this year.”

Graduates PJ McInnis, Trinity Wright, Sunny Paul and transfer Trinity Klock will all need to be replaced in the starting lineup. Despite the turnover, players know that teamwork and communication will be key.

“We will need to be organized on the court and be a cohesive unit,” said senior Denise Ventura. “Our chemistry is really good so I feel that we can definitely win.”

Both teams kicked off their seasons with wins over Damascus in the Coyote Den Friday. The Lady Coyotes opened the night with a strong 59-48 win and the boys followed with a blowout 61-17 win.  

Both teams face Sherwood tonight. Boys travel to the Warriors while the girls get a second consecutive home game.