CHS Choirs to Perform at Prestigious Carnegie Hall

Students Take to Biggest Stage in Program History

The CHS choirs, shown posing after caroling along the MVA metro lines, will travel to historic Carnegie Hall next month.

Amy Vanek

Amy Vanek

Amy Vanek

Jared August, Reporter

After the many crowd-pleasing performances that her CHS choirs pelted out over the past year, CHS choral teacher Amy Vanek and her students were invited to sing at Carnegie Hall (one of the most famous music halls) in NYC this March.

This is the most prestigious venue at which her choirs have been invited to sing. While the CHS choral program has been invited to many other events and Coyotes choirs have sung with other famous composers, nothing compares to this invitation.

Vanek said, “We have had some awesome performances with commissioned composers through Wolftrap. We have sung at the Maryland Music Educator’s Conference, Boston Conservatory and the University of Maryland Invitational. This beats them all!”

Sophomore Syona Mehta, who is in the Bella Voce choir, is planning to attend the trip having only sung with school choirs.

“I’ve never sung on this big of a stage before and I’m looking forward to it,” Syona Mehta said.

Sophomore Saahas Mehta, who is a member of the Coro di Voci choir, has sung with highly competitive choirs outside of school, including with junior all-state choirs. He believes that the CHS choirs have what it takes to impress on this kind of stage.

Vanek believes this is going to be very challenging for her choirs, but also knows her choir can overcome the difficulty. Vanek’s choir will be singing with other school choirs, but the students still need to show what they can do on their own.

Vanek said, “I’m nervous but looking forward to the challenge.”