Coyote Moonlights as Competitive Ice Skater

CHS sophomore Emily Rosenthal spends her free time in Mount Airy training for ice skating competitions.

Emily Rosenthal

Emily Rosenthal

Emily Rosenthal

Thao Pham, Reporter

Since she was 6-years-old, sophomore Emily Rosenthal has been training in competitive ice skating at Mt. Vernon Rec Center. Ice skating has been her passion and it has taught her new life skills and discipline.

Rosenthal learned how to ice skate while she lived in Wisconsin before her family moved to Maryland when she was nine. Her current instructor Shirley Hughes has been coaching her ever since she was a child.

“Emily has been doing really well, she’s always working hard at the rink. I’ve been teaching her since she was 9 and she has been improving and making progress ever since,” Hughes said.

Rosenthal has suffered injuries throughout the years while skating, but those setbacks cannot keep her off the ice.

“I’ve been injured twice: the most recent one was a stress fracture which I was placed in a back brace for three months and then the other time, I sprained my ankle really badly so I was on crutches,” Rosenthal said.

Rosenthal did not let her injuries stop her from skating nor scare her from learning new skills; instead, she learned from her mistakes and has learned to be more careful.

“It has taught me to be more cautious so I don’t injure the same fractures.”

Rosenthal is eager to learn new skills as she continues to compete. Her mother Ting Rosenthal has been supporting her at every single competition and cheering her on. Her mom has helped her work through her injuries and make better progress.

“Earlier this year, we didn’t know if Emily was going to go back skating because she had a stress fracture in her back. I know how much skating means to her, and I’m really proud of where she is right now,” Rosenthal said.

Rosenthal will continue to pursue her passion after high school and hopes to improve more throughout the years.