Is The 2020 Democratic Race Becoming Overcrowded?

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Cal.) is one of many candidates for the Democratic Presidential Candidate in 2020.

Lonnie Tague/Department of Justice

Ronak Tallur, Reporter

The 2020 Presidential Election is less than two years away.

That means that candidates will continue filing to enter the race in droves, vying for a spot to become the next President of the United States.

The incumbent, Republican President Donald Trump, is seeking re-election and is unlikely to face the same amount of competition as Democratic Party candidates.

Already, over eight Democratic politicians have either declared their candidacy or have opened Exploratory Committees. Several other candidates who do not hold political office, particularly businessmen and activists, have also entered the 2020 Democratic race. With one year left until the Primaries begin and several other major candidates expected to enter the race by that time, many have raised the urgent question: is the 2020 race becoming overcrowded?

CHS students have mixed opinions on the issue.

“I personally think that the more voices we have, the better it is and it’s a sign of a healthy democracy,” says senior Arpan Barua. “The only concern I have is that if [candidates] push far left, then the moderate voters might be lost.”

Trump is expected to face stiff resistance during the General Election, as he has had throughout his term so far. However, before he squares off in debates against his opponent, that individual will have to maneuver their way through an increasingly broadening list of candidates within their own party.

While competition is a positive and common element in democratic nations like the United States, Great Britain, France, and others, many fear that the sheer number of candidates and opposing viewpoints within the Democratic Party will divide the constituency long before the 2020 General Election. The problem may not only be confined to the Democrats; several prominent Republicans have publicly expressed interest in opposing Trump during the Republican Primaries.

Sophomore Jared August sees the overcrowded race as one that can turn likeminded constituents against each other in both parties. He also cites the number of candidates who are running as independents as something that can further aggravate the issue.

“A large amount of candidates running for President in 2020 is a negative trend that will actually divide people,” August states.

Social Studies teacher Teak Bassett noticed that inter-party division was a big factor for 2016 Democrats.

“I think that one of the biggest dividing points will be between supporters of a moderate candidate and one leaning really far left,” Bassett commented. “That sort of thing happened in 2016 where supporters of Bernie Sanders were really put off by moderate Hillary Clinton.”

The end result is far from set. While many major Democrats have already confirmed they will be running for President in 2020, like Senator Kamala Harris, others will undoubtedly enter the race within the next few months. Some candidates may enter the race as Republicans to challenge Trump during primaries. What remains to be seen is whether or not the wide array of political viewpoints will divide voters within these parties and, in the long run, hurt them during the 2020 Presidential Election.