Return of the Madness

CHS students and teachers predict this year's champion

With the NCAA tournament starting back up many students will be focusing on the games instead of their school work

Webster Apartments

John Guglielmone, Editor

The men’s NCAA National Tournament, also known as “march madness” brings heartbreaking defeats and Cinderella-esque upsets. This year there’s plenty of teams that can fill in that title.

“Duke would honestly be my favorite to win it all,” said senior Michael Roenick. “Their freshman and their coach are just better than any other team in the tourney.”

Duke is the favorite for most participants of the bracket challenge. Over 35% of the brackets filled out have them winning it all with the runner-up being their in-state rival North Carolina.

“North Carolina would be the team that I think will win it all this year,” senior Aaron Parker said. “They have lots of experience and they are known to go deep in the tourney and have great chemistry together”.

After the first weekend of games, there have been plenty of upsets. However,  many top-seeded teams have prevailed out of the teams heading to the sweet 16, there is only one team higher than a five seed left in the tournament with that being Oregon as a 12 seed.

“A team I feel is underrated is Texas Tech,” track coach Deb Waxman said. “They have a great defense and they back it up with a really good offense.”

With the Sweet 16 decided, the conference with the most teams remaining is the ACC with five. Then the Big Ten has three and the SEC and the Big 12 has two. Gonzaga and Oregon are the only representatives of their conferences left.

With just 16 teams left, Duke is still the favorite to win it all but other teams have closed the gap. After a nail-biting win against the UCF Knights in Columbia South Carolina, the Blue Devils will be facing Virginia Tech in Washington D.C. The other seven games will be going on in Louisville, Anaheim, and Kansas City.