CHS Student Gets Published In STEM Journal

Junior Jess Brown Wrote a Chapter About Math Test Scores for a Scientific Publication

Jess Brown at the 2017 IEEE conference at Princeton University.

Michael Brown

Max Bennett, Reporter

CHS junior Jessica Brown was accepted to write a chapter in “Theorizing STEM Education in the 21st Century” which is published in IntechOpen, the biggest Open Access platform in the world. She is one of the rare exceptions of students who become a published author while still in high school.

In 2017 Jessica wrote a report on algorithms of math test scores and with the help of her dad, a college professor himself at UMUC, the report was published on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE), the world’s largest technical professional organization for the advancement of technology. This report kicked off her journey as a published author.

After her first piece was published, Jessica has had various other career-building opportunities in the computer science field she has published. In 2017, Jessica went to Princeton University for an IEEE K-12 2-day conference to share the test-score algorithm research.

With this opportunity, her parents are very proud. Her father, a college professor, writes research like Jessica’s all the time. Prof. Michael Brown of the University of Maryland University College (UMUC), has an abundance of experience with research papers. He has 37 pieces published on researchgate.net. He was one of the reasons Jessica became a published author in the first place.

“If it wasn’t for my dad and his dedication to help me succeed, I would have never thought about trying to publish a research paper, and now I’m writing a chapter in a published book,” commented Jessica.

Another benefit of becoming a published author in high school is college opportunities. Most students who want to major in science and technology have not become a published author so colleges will be interested that Jessica is a published author.

One of Jessica’s friends, Junior Ricky Cardenas said, “I’m really proud of Jess to see how far she has come and I’m excited to see the path that this opportunity will take her in the future”.

This is only Brown’s first published piece in a book and who knows what might come next?