CHS Hockey Players Skate Towards Success

Students from four different MCPS schools pose after an undefeated championship season.

DHS Booster Club Twitter

DHS Booster Club Twitter

DHS Booster Club Twitter

John Guglielmone and Quam Odunsi, Sports Editor and Reporter

The high school hockey team composed of Clarksburg, Damascus, Watkins Mill, and Gaithersburg students had a very successful season as they went undefeated and won their division championship.

The CHS members of this team were juniors Trevor Drake and Jonathan Ricci, and sophomore Anthony Sasselli. A team with a roster from multiple MCPS schools could potentially have issues with chemistry but those were not a problem for the upcounty combined team.

“Once we got into it and started playing more and more no one really cared who you were and everyone got along pretty well and there was an actual team bond,” Ricci said.

Last year the team only made it to the first round in the playoffs before being upset. But this year was different. They made it all the way to the championship game and won it 6-3 against a very tough Rockville/Magruder team.

“Heading into the season I thought we were going to be the team to beat,” said Sasselli. “We had a lot of skill throughout our roster and our chemistry was great even though our teams separated by four schools”.

Drake had a historical offensive season as he led the state in goals, points and assists. He had 38 goals and 20 assists and had 58 points in total. He also went on to be named a 1st-Team player for the conference.

“It feels great this team never did that. 5 years ago, they did not even win a game so to be able to say we won and went undefeated is cool,” Drake said.

The team will be returning many players but is still going to be losing many key players that will be graduating. The team will be looking forward to repeat next year and win the team’s second title ever.

“The seniors were very good this year,” said Drake. “I honestly don’t think we will go undefeated next year, but I do still believe we will contend for a championship.”