MCPS Should Issue Bus Passes To Ease Crowding

Overpacked School Transportation Needs Some Relief

MCPS buses have been overcrowded for some time, but issuing bus passes to students would allow better transportation for all.

L.A. Shively

David Hong, Reporter

Many CHS students are riding different buses, and most bus drivers don’t know who is on their bus or who is not. Students often cannot ride their regular bus because other students are taking up space. 

MCPS schools should make and provide bus passes if their standard yellow school buses are crowded. Each individual student that rides a bus in the morning and the afternoon should get a bus pass that is connected to their specific route. MCPS bus passes would allow students to be able to ride their correct bus without getting into trouble.

“If we get bus passes, then there would be no problems with buses,” freshman David Feig stated.

Passes could be issued annually, by semester, or for one-way or round-trip transportation. The pass will provide passage home-to-school or school-to-home or one-way transportation as specified for each school day.

If unregistered students enter the wrong bus, the bus driver will ask for a pass to determine the right route/bus home. Another benefit is that the buses will be organized and the bus driver won’t have to do extra work, like dropping off the students that are supposed to be on a different bus.

Freshman Jordan states that “the buses help me because I don’t have to always ask my parents to pick me up.”

Afterschool programs and clubs have after-school activity buses which often encounter the same problems. The passes could solve that issue as well as long as students should carry their bus passes with them.

Freshman Hamza Chaudhry states, “The buses are a good way instead of wasting time and waiting for your guardians to come.”