Measles Outbreak Continues Spreading Across U.S.

The measles outbreak has affected many states in the past months.

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr

Kidan Williams, Reporter

As the outbreak of reported measles cases have been happening, it has furthered the debate about whether kids should be required to get vaccinations against diseases such as measles, mumps, and rubella.

This past month, it has been reported by the Center for Disease Control that 700 cases of the measles have been in 22 states mainly due to the outbreak in Brooklyn and Rockland County, New York. It’s the highest amount of cases in the U.S since 2000 when measles was declared eliminated. It has been reported by the New York Times that the unvaccinated ultra-Orthodox Jews living in those two areas of New York traveled to Israel and brought back the highly contagious disease. This lead to a spread of the disease among the communities where many children were unvaccinated.

“This outbreak is really scary especially for the people that aren’t vaccinated since measles is really contagious,” CHS freshman Riya Shah said. “I hope that they find a way to prevent this from spreading to other states, especially Maryland.”

Most parents that are against vaccinations receive misleading information from social media and fake websites that disseminate unproven facts. There has been false information on the internet. that claims the MMR vaccine causes autism even though it has been thoroughly researched by the CDC. The MMR vaccine does not lead to autism at all. Many doctors have been pushing people to get their vaccines because it would also protect babies that aren’t old enough to get the vaccine. They can easily get the disease from a person that isn’t vaccinated.

“The spreading of false information about the MMR vaccine isn’t good especially in the highly unvaccinated communities where the measles could spread easily. This also includes babies that aren’t vaccinated yet because they aren’t old enough,” said freshman Sruthi Vujji.

MCPS has an immunization policy for incoming 7th graders to receive the Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (Tdap) and Meningococcal meningitis (MCV4) vaccines. If they don’t meet the immunization requirements they aren’t able to attend school until they provide the documentation of the required immunizations.

“I think it’s good that they require these immunizations because these diseases can be very dangerous and contagious if you get them,” said freshman Asifa Shagul. “People should definitely be educated better on vaccines and ask questions to their doctors because that’s what they’re are there for.”