Local Quarterback Returns Home for NFL Career

Dwayne Haskins, who quarterbacked at Bullis in high school, is now set to the be the QB of the future for the Redskins.

Terrapin Station

John Guglielmone, Editor

The Washington Redskins were finally on the clock with the 15th pick of the 2019 NFL Draft.  They used that draft pick on local quarterback Dwayne Haskins. Haskins was a quarterback out of Bullis School in Potomac, Maryland from 2012-2016 where he played all four of his high school years after moving from Highland Park, New Jersey.

Many CHS Redskins fans are excited about the potential of the local boy leading the local team to success.

“He’s a really good QB and I think he has the skills to become elite,” senior Daniel Ward said. “I think it will take two or three years before he can take us back to the playoffs, but I feel like it could possibly be longer the just another one and done”.

Haskins threw for a total of 5,308 yards and 54 touchdowns while in high school. He originally committed to attend the University of Maryland but then flipped his commitment to Ohio State University.

“The Skins have potential to be good this year,” social studies teacher Scott Mathias said. “Hopefully Haskins works out well and the team gets headed in the right direction.”

The Redskins will be coming off another disappointing season as injuries plagued them once again. The Redskins were onto their fourth-string quarterback by the time the season ended. The Redskins finished with a record of 7-9 and missed the playoffs for the third consecutive year. Washington has not won a playoff game since 2005 when they won in the wild-card round against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Any athlete’s transition to a new team is never simple. Some CHS athletes can provide a glimpse into what awaits Haskins.

“Adapting to new people and learning the new things and the language they speak was hard to adjust to,” junior Xavier Holmes said about his move to Clarksburg from Dublin, Georgia before his freshman year. “I would’ve been in trouble or in a grave if I didn’t move here so I’m glad I did”.

Holmes has gone through a similar situation as Haskins did. He moved to Clarksburg from Dublin, Georgia before his freshman year. Both moved to Maryland coming into high school, and both played football for their schools. Holmes looks to follow a similar path as Haskins by playing for a big-time college football school.

“I think being from the area might make things hard for a rookie…. But at the same time, being close to home could be helpful to a young player too,” Mathias added.