Baseball Makes Run for States

Baseball Makes Run for States

The CHS boys baseball team faces off against Wooton baseball.

Max Bennett

Max Bennett

Max Bennett

Max Bennett, Reporter

The CHS baseball team faced its most important game of the season Thursday, May 15 as they faced off against Wootton in the Regional Semifinals.

When Clarksburg played the Patriots earlier this season, it ended in an 8-0 loss for the Coyotes, so the team knew that they had to play their best in order to win.

Both teams went hitless through the first inning and both went scoreless through the first three innings thanks to amazing defense from both teams. Junior pitcher Nathan Proctor was on top of his game.

“Catching Nate was great Tuesday, he was throwing amazing and everything was great behind the plate” said sophomore Morgan Bragg.

In the top of the 4th, Wootton had runners on 2nd and 3rd before the Patriots hit a sac fly to left and scored a run to take a 1-0 lead. The Coyotes’ infield defense came up with two big outs to prevent any more damage.

Clarksburg bounced back with an RBI single from junior outfielder Bailey Arensmeyer in the bottom of the 4th to even up the score at 1-1. “The game was awesome, I’m so glad I could play in the game and help my team” commented Arensmeyer. Another run was hit in by Roenick to give the Coyotes the 2-1 advantage.

After two scoreless innings, Wootton managed to get a runner in scoring position with one out. Sophomore third baseman Sam Batis made a clutch play on a ground ball to keep the runner from scoring. Then with two outs, the Patriots hit a deep fly to center, but luckily junior outfielder Andrew Abrams was there to catch the final out of the game and earn Proctor the win after throwing a complete game.

Head Coach, Matthew Derrick added, “I thought the team played great, great defense and great pitching”

With the win, the Coyotes advanced to the regional finals where they will face Whitman Friday May 17 at 5:15 p.m.