Student-Athletes of the Year

Spiess and Shields show great leadership in the classroom and on the field

Student-Athletes of the Year

Spiess and Shields pose together after winning Prom King and Queen

Kevin Choi

Kevin Choi

Kevin Choi

Throughout the course of this year, many students have played a sport for CHS, but a select few have stood out above the rest. Two of those students are seniors Ben Spiess and Brooke Shields. Ever since their freshman year, Spiess and Shields have been part of Coyote Athletics with Spiess also playing football and Shields also doing cheerleading in the fall, while both do indoor and outdoor track in the winter and spring.

Spiess and shields both compete on a variety of CHS teams

“Determination, hard work, and a desire to do my best every day push me to be my best,” said senior Ben Spiess. “I am content with what I have accomplished but there are many things in which I came up short”.

Spiess was a captain on the football team and is also a captain on the track team. Spiess qualified for states in indoor track in the high jump. Spiess qualified for states in outdoor track for the triple jump and the long jump. Spiess will be attending Salisbury University and will be playing football there next year.

“I accomplished more than I honestly thought I would have,” said senior Brooke Shields. “My support system has helped a whole lot. I have great coaches and friends and teammates that help me and push me to get better every day”.

Shields was a captain on the cheer team and is also a captain on the track team along with Spiess. Shields qualified for states in indoor track in the 4×200 meter relay. Shields also won the long jump at the county championships for outdoor track. Shields qualified for states in outdoor track in the long jump, triple jump, and the 4×100 meter relay. Shields will be attending The Ohio State University for cheerleading next year.  

“They both have talent, dedication, and passion, but what really separates them from the rest is they rise to the occasion and always step it up when they need to the most,” said head track coach Scott Mathias. “I will miss them both to a great degree…. But even after they moved on to bigger and better things, they will have left footprints behind showing how to be successful just like they were”.

Mathias has been the head track coach since CHS opened and has led the team to a total of 3 state championships. Both the boys and girls are strong contenders this year at making a run to add another title to the school’s history and that is in large part thanks to Spiess and Shields.

“Ben and Brooke are the true embodiment of great teammates,” said senior Tre Horton. “Their work ethic and expectations of themselves motivates others to do better as well”.

Horton has been teammates with Spiess and Shields since freshman year and is also a state qualifier in multiple events such as Spiess and Shields are themselves.

“They have pushed me to be a better athlete not only by encouraging me but by also teaching me and leading by example,” said sophomore Haley Williams. “I aspire to be like Brooke in many ways and she has been such a great influence on me as an athlete and a person”.