Recent Anti-Abortion Bills Cause Controversy

Students+nationwide+are+fighting+against+abortion+restrictions+via+social+media+and+public+protests.+

Students nationwide are fighting against abortion restrictions via social media and public protests.

Julie Bennett

Julie Bennett

Julie Bennett

Thao Pham, Reporter

Lately, many people have been disagreeing over the issue of pro-life versus pro-choice and debating about whether abortion rights should be legalized or prohibited.

Recently in Alabama, lawmakers have passed anti-abortion bills banning women from getting an abortion and banning doctors from performing such procedures. Similar plans are pending in other states as well. Georgia has also passed some of the most restrictive abortion legislation in the country causing more conflicts. Actress Alyssa Milano claims that Georgia’s abortion laws could land women in prison for the intention of murdering their own child. Many protests are being made across the US.

Many CHS students have noticed the ongoing debate over abortion rights and many agree that the policy should support a woman’s right to choose.

“Abortion should be legal because it’s a woman’s choice whether or not she wants to keep her baby. Aborting a baby doesn’t make a woman a murderer. There are many reasons why a woman wants an abortion like being too young, financial reasons, rape, incest, etc. The only person that can tell a woman what to do with her body is herself,” sophomore Analea Chavez said.

Before all the recent controversy, abortion was legal in the U.S. because of the landmark Roe v. Wade case. Every state had to have at least one abortion clinic allowing women to terminate their pregnancy. A few days after Alabama’s new anti-abortion bill, Georgia signed a bill into law that would impose a death sentence or penalty for women who choose the option to abort a detectable beating heart according to CNBC news. People are getting worried that more and more red states are passing laws banning early abortions.

“If abortion is made illegal there’ll be desperate and life-threatening ways that women will seek in order to abort her baby,” sophomore Jessica Morales said.

Multiple other states like Georgia are hoping that their new bills and laws will overturn or challenge Roe v. Wade which established women’s right to abortion in 1973. A woman’s decision to terminate a pregnancy at the first trimester will be considered murder in the second degree according to Georgia’s new laws.

“Abortion should be an option for women who do not want their child. No one can say what a woman has been through or what they have suffered. It is their body and their choice what they do with it,” sophomore Isabela Rodriguez said.