Recent Bills Attack Roe v. Wade, Affect U.S. Rights

The Supreme court case Roe V. Wade legalizing abortion for women is now in jeopardy.

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr

Kidan Williams, Reporter

The “heartbeat” bill passed in Alabama over two weeks ago was created to restrict women as early as six weeks pregnant to get an abortion; even in the cases of rape and incest. After this bill was signed, other conservative states decided to follow in Alabama’s footsteps and pass similar abortion bills. This led to the controversial question on whether the state laws violated the supreme court case Roe V. Wade.

The 1973 Roe V. Wade ruling legalized abortion throughout the U.S. The Supreme Court ruled that women had the right to choose to have an abortion. This was supported by the due process clause of the fourteenth amendment which gives citizens the right to privacy.

Many CHS students learn about Roe v. Wade in history classes and are now confused about the recent legislative moves across the country.

“During my AP NSL government class we learned about the supreme court case Roe V. Wade and how much of an impact it made on women’s reproductive rights,” said CHS freshman Sruthi Vujii. “The ruling of the case is still debated.”

Now that the majority of Supreme court justices are conservative, the states with abortion restrictions are aiming to overturn Roe V. Wade. This is giving the states a newly found confidence. Is the supreme court ready to take on such a controversial issue? No one really knows how the supreme court will decide but with the current supreme court leaning to the conservative side, they might overturn Roe V. Wade.

“The Supreme court will have to soon rule on whether abortion should be illegal,” said freshman Riya Shah. “Especially since the states keep on passing new abortion laws, the Supreme Court has to settle this issue once and for all”                                                       

This week the Supreme court also ruled on an abortion-related case in Indiana. The court ruled that you have to bury or cremate fetal remains from an abortion, but it did not pass the second part of the law which restricted abortion based on fetal disability, race or sex.

“This ruling did not really do much for abortion laws or upholding Roe V. Wade.” said Freshman Asifa Shagul “this ruling could have been a turning point, but instead they left the decision of abortion laws hanging.”

These decisions made by the Supreme court could have a lasting effect on Maryland and its abortion laws.