Tik Tok Trends Take Over With Teens

Tik Tok Trends Take Over With Teens

Tik Tok is amassing popularity rapidly, with over 500 million users on the platform.

Wikipedia

Wikipedia

Wikipedia

Kara Peeler, Editor-In-Chief

With over 500 million active users, Tik Tok, a social media app known for its humor and dance videos, is amassing popularity with CHS students.

In August of last year, the app merged with the lip-syncing and dancing app Musical.ly and began its journey to success. Now worth over $75 billion, Tik Tok is the most valuable startup, beating out competitors such as Uber. 

The videos are ‘cute,’” said special education history teacher Kristen Bouvé. “They seem well-choreographed, clean and for the most part entertaining and pertain to a relatively juvenile audience. I rarely see inappropriate clips.” 

Most CHS users credit the app’s popularity to its entertaining content. 

“I like to use it because it’s hilarious, I kid you not,” said junior Tulsi Patel. “When I start watching Tik Toks, I can’t stop scrolling. It’s an addiction.” 

Although some students may find it cringy, overall, it remains popular at CHS. 

“I’m not going to lie, some aspects of Tik Tok are really cringy (like the so-called ‘e-boys’), but overall, most of the comedy is great,” said junior Ashley Kharbanda. “I like Tik Tok because some videos speak to my sense of humor. Once you start using it, you kind of get addicted.” 

Many students find the short videos fun to watch. Some even think that the app is replacing Vine, a similar app that shut down in 2017. 

Which is better, Tik Tok or Vine?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“It’s a great way for people to share their creative outlook, almost like Vine did,” said Kharbanda. “There are similarities in the content people post on Tik Tok to the content people made on Vine. To be honest, I think that Tik Tok is slightly more popular only because the amount of shares there have been on social media throughout the world.” 

CHS is home to some of its own Tik Tokers, such as Kharbanda and Patel themselves.  

“The most likes I’ve gotten is 30 thousand,” said Patel. “I like to keep up with some of the current dances of Tik Tok. I also like to make Tik Toks with jokes, humor, or memes. I’ve made occasional ones with jokes about softball and sports.”  

The app is so popular that even teachers are becoming familiar with the platform, such as Bouvé who was introduced to the app by her two children, ages 12 and 9. As more people use Tik Tok, parents develop opinions on the platform. 

I’d rather have my tweens be on Tik Tok than other social media platforms such as Snapchat. It’s inevitable they’ll be exposed to social media apps. We have to embrace this generation and be accepting.” 

However, most agree that Tik Tok is an entertaining and worthwhile platform for kids, teens, and adults. 

“Sharing and taking a genuine interest is key in my opinion,” said Bouvé. “Tik Tok can be fun. We try to mimic silly dances and skits…well I should say I try. My kids succeed. We have fun with it.” 

Trends come and go, but Tik Tok seems to be sticking around, promoting creativity, self-expression and laughs.

Embrace the future! What choice do we have?”

— Kristen Bouvé